Monday 12 December 2011

Rope Burn

My arms ache. My neck ache. My legs ache. My ass aches. My hands ache.
And why's that?

Because I am yet again working on a show!
Like last time, my job is to climb up into the fly tower and pull ropes to make things appear and disappear. The show is Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, and it's looking really good. Well, from what I can tell from up with the ropes.

My wonderful view from the fly tower

Pulling ropes is easy enough, but not so much when you have to move multiple things at one. At one point, I have to lower one thing and raise another, which means running back and forth in the dark and trying not to trip over everything or whack my legs into winch handles (the latter of which I have done multiple times....). At one point, I'm going to have to get an assistant up there with me because there is no way in hell I'll be able to move a backdrop and two flats on my own in the time I have to do it. But hey, at least I don't have to lift and wiggle something that is heavier than me. With fishing wire. While working a third rope. Damn you, Return to the Forbidden Planet!


I must say, though, even though it hurts, I love crewing shows from up on my shelf. Yesterday, I climbed up to the very top of the proscenium and rigged up a rope on my own. Last time I got called u there, my left arm panicked and wouldn't let go of the ladder, so I never even managed to do anything.

I'm starting to really enjoy all of this stuff. I think, however, I'm going to have to work out a fair bit so I don't kill my arms after a night of lifting flats and curtains. Poor, poor little arms!

0 comments:

About Me

My Photo
October Wolfe
Jester of Misfortune.
View my complete profile

Working With...

Love
Gifts
Enigmas

Workshop

Design/costume/etc. blog:

Followers